Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Chickpea Noodle Soup (for When You're Sick!)

On Sunday, it was 75 degrees here. I wore shorts while I cleaned my car and did yard work. And then on Monday, it was in the 50s. It's been rainy and cold. We haven't seen the sun in Memphis in DAYS. And so my body responded to the drastic weather change with a case of the sniffles. I felt a little weird Tuesday morning, but I loaded up on raw garlic, apple cider vinegar, elderberry, and Airborne tablets. Plus lots of greens and oats and other immune-boosting foods.

That stuff usually works for me. But not this time. By Tuesday night, I was a snotty, sneezy mess. It's terrible timing since I have a 20-mile training run planned on Saturday. Fortunately, my marathon training plan gives me a generous 3-week taper, so if need be, I can push that last long run back a week. Anyway, I need to get well soon. I have zero time for sickness. As soon as I felt this cold coming on, I whipped up a batch of Chickpea Noodle Soup.


This is a super-simple recipe that I created on the fly, but it's packed with good stuff like chickpeas, garlic, and protein-heavy soybean noodles by Explore Asian. Here's my recipe!

Chickpea Noodle Soup
Yields 4 servings

1 white onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 carrots, peeled and diced
4 stalks celery, diced
2 cubes Edward & Sons Not Chick'n Bouillon
8 cups water
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 package Explore Asian Soybean Spaghetti (or 8 oz of any desired noodles)
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. dried chives
Sea salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
2 Tbsp. flaxseed oil, for garnish (optional)

Simmer the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery until tender in a small amount of water in a large stock pot. Add the bouillon and the rest of the water. Bring to a boil.

Add the chickpeas and pasta, as well as the garlic powder and chives. Boil for 6-8 minutes or until noodles are tender. Season to taste. Divide among four bowls and drizzle a half-tablespoon of flaxseed oil over each bowl.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hope you feel better soon! LOVING this soup recipe!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Wishing you a quick, full recovery!

Sarah said...

Get well soon! The soup looks incredible!

Hillary said...

I had a cold that I only just got over and it was brutal. It did not want to leave my body! I really hope you feel better soon. Chickpea noodle soup is the best, and this version looks amazing!!!

Unknown said...

I hope you kick the cold quick! The change of weather seems to make everyone sick. This soup sounds really delicious! I'm a big fan of miso broth to sip like tea when i'm sick, i try and cram extra probiotics in and just love the flavor
Ttrockwood
Ttrockwood

Susan said...

Hope you are feeling better! That soup sounds like just the thing to help you heal.