Thursday, May 25, 2017

NYC Vegan Cookbook

I've never been to New York City. I'm almost ashamed to admit that. Somehow, I've made it 36 years without a trip to the Big Apple. In recent years, my travel has been limited to VegFests that my publisher sends me to, work or vegan conference trips, or quick road trips to towns and cities within a couple hour's drive from Memphis. I just haven't had a reason to go to NYC aside from pure pleasure, and my budget historically hasn't allowed much space for pleasure trips. But NYC is on the bucket list for sure.

Until then, I can pretend, thanks to a new cookbook by Ethan Ciment and Michael Suchman of Vegan Mos. This awesome vegan duo lives in New York City, and they've just published a new book called NYC Vegan.

New York is a melting pot of course, so the cuisine in this book runs the gamut from traditional Jewish to Caribbean and Americanized Chinese to Puerto Rican. The book is organized into chapters on basics, breakfast (called "Breakfast at Tiffany's -- how cute it that?), lunches, spreads and dips ("Start Spreading the News" -- again, cute!), suppers, sides, and desserts.

I picked a couple dishes to get started, but I have many more bookmarked. This week, I made the Tempeh Reuben, which is the sandwich featured on the front cover of the book. I LOVE a good reuben, and I was totally impressed with Ethan and Michael's version with tempeh bacon rather than a vegan version of corned beef.


I used Lightlife's Fakin' Bacon, but any homemade tempeh bacon would do. They don't provide a recipe for tempeh bacon in the book, but I feel like most vegans can make tempeh bacon in their sleep. Or just buy it pre-made like I did. There's also vegan Swiss (I used Chao instead), kraut (I used Bubbie's), a dressing made with ketchup and vegan mayo, avocado, and tomato. I used a Jewish rye bread from the Whole Foods bakery.

From the breakfast chapter, I made their Matzoh Brei. 



This is a traditional Passover dish typically made with eggs and matzoh, but their vegan version uses silken tofu in place of eggs. I had leftover matzoh from our Easter/Passover potluck that needed using. I'd made vegan matzoh brei before using Isa's recipe in Vegan Brunch, but it was a savory version. This one had maple syrup in the recipe and more on top, but it's served with ketchup so you get that awesome savory/sweet thing. Loved it! Perfect served with vegan sausage and fruit.

I ALMOST made their Street Meat Platter, an ode to combo platters served by Middle Eastern street carts in New York. It combines beefy seitan (recipe is in the book), chicken-style soy curls (also in the book), white rice, tomato, lettuce, white sauce, and pita. Looks soooooo amazing, so I'll definitely make that next. I just didn't get around to it before this review.

There's also a recipe for Rice Paper Ham in the breakfast chapter that blew my mind. You can use RICE PAPER (like for spring rolls) to make HAM! WHAT?! Will totally try that asap.

Other fun things you'll find: New-Fashioned Jewish Chick'n Soup, New York-Style Bagels, Sundried Tomato Basil Spread, General Tso's Chick'n, Latkes, Seitan Piccata, Knishes, Classic NYC Pizza, Platform Churros, Black and White Cookies, and New York-Style Cheesecake. So much goodness!

So while I may not get to visit New York City any time soon, at least I can eat like a New Yorker now.

7 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

You may remember from my blogging days that I went to NYC annually (still do) - if you need any trusted recommendations, I promise to share them :) Hope you're able to get there in the VERY near future!

Susan said...

This book sounds like a lot of fun!

Unknown said...

The vegan street meat recipe sounds amazing ! NYC is waaaaay more vegan friendly than it was just five years ago when you would have to explain what exactly vegan meant to most people. I've lived here since college and the melting pot of cultures and foods has created some fantastic restaurants and dishes. There must be some kind of professional conference your work should send you too.....! ;)
Ttrockwood

Hillary said...

This sounds like a great book. I like cookbooks with a big variety of recipes.
I think the vegan street meat recipe sounds awesome too!

Sarah said...

OMG!!! I've been waiting for this book to come out but hadn't realized it did! I'm so excited for this book and to re-create my childhood favorites. When I ate matzah brei I always ate it with syrup. It's the best :)

I hope you get to come out here soon!!! :) And if you do I'd love to show you around Long Island for a day!

Jennifer said...

I live in New Jersey and my father commuted into New York City. Now my sister, cousin, and Aunt live in Brooklyn (and family live on Long Island, suburbs of New York State) so I go often but never actually "visit." But OMG I need this book! KNISHES?! My husband never had them before and I died a little. I need to make him some.

Caitlin | Beauty & Colour said...

Sounds like this book has a nice variety of different styles of cuisine, love it!

Beauty & Colour | Vegan Lifestyle Blog