Sunday, May 8, 2016

Mother's Day Eats!!

Every year for Mother's Day, we do something a little different. Some years, my grandmas come over to my parents' house to eat, and other years, we go out to a restaurant. But this year, we had a nice little Mother's Day lunch today at my Me-Maw's house in Jonesboro.

My dad took this picture of all the ladies in the family. My Me-Maw (mama's mom) is on the left, and then there's my mama, and Granny (daddy's mom) is next to me. These are the coolest, most amazing women on the planet as far as I'm concerned. All of these ladies are strong, smart, independent women who have been the best role models a girl could ask for.


And yes, I wore my Herbivore "Bacon Had a Mom" tee today because it seemed appropriate!

Back at Thanksgiving, my mama made a few extra batches of Vegan Cornbread Dressin' and Hash Brown Casserole (and some extra non-vegan versions for them) and put them up in the freezer. She didn't know at the time when they'd come in handy, but she knew they would. Well, today they did! She thawed out the dressin' and casserole for lunch today. And then she made a fresh batch of Vegan "Chicken" Dumplins and some Green Beans


That's the hash brown casserole on the far left. It's basically just hash browns, Daiya cheddar, Tofutti sour cream, and vegan-buttered cornflake topping. So rich and delicious! It's always my fave thing at Thanksgiving. On the far right is mama's famous dressin'. She makes the BEST dressin' in the world. Seriously. It was so nice to enjoy these two Thanksgiving dishes without all the extra Thanksgiving food. I felt like I could enjoy them more when I wasn't cramming a million others things onto my plate.

The dumplins are another fave of mine. For her vegan ones, she makes flour dumplins, rolls them out, and then cuts them like noodles. And then she boils them in hot, seasoned veggie broth. She doesn't add any vegan chicken, and I think I like it better that way because, as a kid, the dumplings were always my favorite part of chicken and dumplings. I'd pick around the chicken and eat the dumplings first.

You might remember that, last week, we had some Vegan Peanut Butter Pie for my mama's birthday dessert. We loved that pie so much that she made another one for today! It's soooo good. It's just peanut butter, Daiya cream cheese, powdered sugar, So Delicious CocoWhip, and a graham cracker crust. 


I just had to photograph the pie next to my Me-Maw's collection of solar-powered, animated knick-knacks! So kitschy and cute!

We had a lovely Mother's Day! Hope y'all did too!

3 comments:

Hillary said...

I love the picture of you four ladies, and the food looks delicious too! I want that pie! I love those knick knacks too.

foodfeud said...

Fun food. That pie looks especially good. So nice that you were all able to get together. I had a quiet lunch with my folks.

Susan said...

Such a lovely photo of you all. :)
I think I like the idea of just the dumplings without the 'chicken' chunks... I suspect I would want to pick around for the dumplings as well!