Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Vintage Baked Goodies!

I've met some of the coolest people through this blog. If it weren't for Vegan Crunk, I may have never met my baker friend Stephanie (Poopie Bitch) and I certainly wouldn't have vegan friends all over the world. No matter where I go, chances are I know a vegan there. Not to get all mushy and Thanksgiving-y, but I'm totally grateful for that!

In fact, this very blog helped make a connection between myself and another Memphis vegan baker just a few days ago. It all started a few weeks ago when a dude named TJ emailed me. He said he his wife Dená had been vegan for about four years, and she had started creating some delicious vegan baked goods. He wondered if I could give her any advice on getting a baking business off the ground. I suggested a few vegan-friendly restaurants that I'd love to see vegan desserts sold in.

And then a couple weeks later, Dená emailed me herself. She said she'd like for me to try her stuff! Well, who would say no to fresh baked vegan goodies?! On Monday night, Dená and TJ stopped by my house bearing treats! Here's Dená in my dining room.


Dená started eating healthier around 2000 after losing her dad to massive heart failure. Her mom also suffered heart problems, and Dená discovered that heart disease runs in her family. At that time, she was 224 pounds. But she started eating better and shed 100 pounds. She wasn't vegan then, but she was focusing more on fresh food and exercising. Then, in 2009, on her anniversary, she experienced anaphylactic shock from a food allergy she didn't even know she had. That's when she decided to go vegan. Her husband TJ followed her soon after.

Fast forward to now. Dená is baking desserts using veganized versions of her great-grandmother's recipes. Since her great-grandma's name was Snowdie Pearl, that's what Dená settled on for the name of her baking company. Memphis readers: She's not selling anywhere yet, but I will keep you posted.


Wanna see what she brought me to sample?

There were Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Brownies! Some had icing and some didn't. These were so moist and nutty. I've not had a lot of gluten-free baked goods, but I couldn't tell a difference between these and gluten-containing brownies.


And she brought two styles of vanilla cupcakes! There were Vanilla Cupcakes with Crumble Topping.


And my personal fave, the Vanilla Cupcake with Vanilla Frosting (and a cupcake on top!!! Bonus!!). Also I just love the faux flower. It really gives this cupcake a vintage look.


The cupcakes were incredibly moist, and the frosting was buttery and creamy. I can't wait until Snowdie Pearl treats are available in a store or bakery!

4 comments:

designed4worship said...

Thank you so much for writing your blog. I am a new vegetarian and am making a lifestyle change in an attempt to break the cycle of diabetes, high blood pressure and cancer that has been plaguing my family. Your article today - mentioning the baker that lost so much weight, really hit home.

Thanks SO Much! Be encouraged because your blog really helps and inspires!!!

Unknown said...

OMG! These look and sound soooooo yummy! I can't wait until she has them available to the public! I want them now! :-)

Unknown said...

So cute and yummy! I wish I lived in Memphis because I would put an order in right away!

Lesley Eats said...

Oh, wow. I hope I get to try some of her stuff soon! And what a great story.