Thursday, January 26, 2012

Bringin' Flaxy Back

You like my cheesy Justin Timberlake reference there? No? Anyway, I'm not fond of doing two review posts in a row, but I promised I'd do a post soon on flax milk after mentioning that I used it earlier this week to make some bomb-ass hot chocolate.

One commenter asked if I made the flax milk myself? I only wish I were that talented (or patient). I actually used Good Karma Unsweetened Flax Milk. When the fine folks at Good Karma offered to send me flax milk samples, I had no idea they'd send this much!

Three huge half-gallons of their original, unsweetened, and vanilla flavored milks made from flax seed. I must admit that I assumed the milks would have a flaxy taste. Not that that would be a bad thing. I love the taste of flax seeds. But I was highly surprised when I took my first swig and realized the milk tasted as neutral as soymilk. I've been using this stuff in my coffee, and it has no flax seed aftertaste.

Since the milk is made from omega-rich flax seed, each cup has 1,200 mg of omega-3's, plus 30 percent of your daily calcium. Score! And the unsweetened flavor, which is what I would buy, is only 25 calories per cup. Most unsweetened soy and almond milk ranges from 50 to 70 calories per cup. This stuff is pretty awesome.

I haven't seen it sold in Whole Foods here yet, but when I do, I'll start buying this instead of soy, almond, or coconut milk. Every morning, I down a tablespoon of ground flax dissolved in water to make sure I'm getting my omega-3's, but as you probably know, flax seed doesn't actually dissolve in water. It just makes a thick, slimy paste. So I drink it fast. This milk is a way more appetizing way to get my omegas.

16 comments:

Sheridan said...

I'm intrigued! Would love to try it. I hope our Whole Foods (or even Kroger!) starts carrying it soon as well!

Chef Amber Shea said...

I got these milks sent to me last week too, and I'm loving them! In fact, right now I'm drinking coffee and eating oatmeal, both made with the unsweetened flax milk. Can't beat 25 cals a cup.

The Health Sensei said...

any additives? like vitamin d3 or a? i don't do additives in milk as they throw off body chemistry. thanks!

Rebekah said...

It's more expensive, for sure. I paid around $4.75 for one container, but I am enjoying it!

Babette said...

I'm very surprised too that it doesn't taste anything like flax... and the calorie profile is pretty amazing.

Hope it is available in Canada soon.

dreaminitvegan said...

Very cool! I'm going to check out our health food store this afternoon.

xvavaveganx said...

This sounds great! I'm really curious and I hope that Whole Foods starts to carry this soon. I'd love to give it a try!

Jess of Midwest Vegan said...

I haven't seen these around, but I'd love to give them a try!

Simone said...

Thanks for the tip! I wonder if Flax milk is available n Australia. I make my own rice milk but this interests me because of the omega 3s. Hmmm... I guessing it would tale a LOT of flax seeds to produce 1 litre of milk!!

Dani said...

Hey! Love your blog! I just started one of my own. Watch out for shout outs a props. I've totally got a list of things to try from your blog!

Ali @ whatalididnext said...

Right I am out to search these out in New Zealand.
Not sure I could face putting it in my coffee though. Always worth a go.

tender b. said...

The idea of drinking flax is very appetizing.

Paige Knowles said...

I simply must get my hands on some Flax milk! I usually just sprinkle my seeds over oatmeal or yogurt, never knew that you could get it as "milk". Brilliant!

slens04 said...

Thanks for the update. I saw it in Whole Foods today and was curious about it.

Allison Rivers Samson said...

About a month ago, I noticed that our closest Whole Foods had an aseptic flax milk in their private label. Unfortunately, they had only vanilla, which was disgustingly sweet. I would love to try the unsweetened version! Does it have 0g sugars?

somer said...

Oh man. Justin Timberlake song stuck in my head with visions of flax. I wanna whip out my blendtec and try to make my own! I haven't seen this stuff locally and it may be cheaper too.