Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Fajita Scramble

So you go to a Mexican restaurant, not a fancy, vegan Mexican restaurant, but a regular old run-of-the-mill regional chain joint. There's a "vegetarian" section on the menu, but selections include likely-cooked-in-lard bean and cheese burritos, cheese tostadas, cheese enchiladas, and vegetable fajitas. You pick veggie fajitas since its the only remotely vegan item. Maybe the veggies are cooked on the same grill as the meat, but you take your chances because if you're like me, you don't ask a lot of questions in restaurants. Especially when your server barely speaks English anyway.

The fajitas are okay — mostly onions and bell peppers with a few tomatoes thrown in for good measure. You stuffed your face with chips and salsa (and margaritas) while waiting for your food, so you can't seem to finish the full steaming platter of fajita veggies. So you ask for a to-go box. But what to do with those leftovers? You definitely don't want the same-old unimpressive fajitas again for lunch the next day.

So you make Fajita Tofu Scramble!!

That's what I did with the leftover veggies from Sunday night's fajitas at El Porton. I'd bought a Groupon, so Paul and I ate there. But we were both unimpressed.

However, those onion-heavy sauteed veggies were the perfect backdrop to some frozen and thawed tofu cubes. Since the veggies were already seasoned with chili powder and other Mexican spices, I seasoned the tofu with a little nutritional yeast, soy sauce, and turmeric. Delicious! And way better than those fajitas!

What do you do to spice up restaurant leftovers?

5 comments:

Scissors and Spice said...

We usually only eat at vegan places, so there generally are no leftovers. :) Yum! (And I just saw that plate at the Goodwill, but in green. So funny!)

Stacy said...

I don't ask too many questions at restaurants, either. We very rarely eat out so I try not to feel too guilty about it. BTW, I love your website!

Erin said...

Looks delicious! I've actually had some really good veggie fajitas at run of the mill Mexican places, but it's definitely hit or miss. Chips and salsa are where it's at anyway.

Glo said...

I like using leftovers in a new dish. Our only local Mexican restaurant (live in smallville) takes Vegetarian one step further. I asked and they cook their Vegetarian Refried Beans in LARD!!!! There is NOtHING on the menu I can eat.

Unknown said...

I usually add something with tomatoes to my leftovers (be it salsa or sauce). It can create the illusion of an entirely different meal.